What is the time zone of Newfoundland & Labrador?
The province of Newfoundland & Labrador is divided into two time zones: the mainland is in the Atlantic Time zone while the island of Newfoundland and its capital St. John’s are in the Newfoundland Time zone. It is based mean solar time of the meridian 52 degrees and 30 arcminutes west of the Greenwich Observatory and it’s quite unique the province is the only area in the world using this time.
- Atlantic Standard Time (AST):– 4:00 UTC (behind)
- Atlantic Daylight Time (ADT):– 3:00 UTC (behind)
- Newfoundland Standard Time (NFST):– 3:30 UTC (behind)
- Newfoundland Daylight Time (NFDT): – 2:30 UTC (behind)
Travel to neighboring provinces and countries
When you travel outside of Newfoundland & Labrador the time can change depending on where and when you cross the border.
From Mainland to Quebec:
- You will enter the Eastern Time zone which is -1 hour (behind) with the exception of the most eastern tip of Quebec which is also in the Atlantic time zone.
From Newfoundland Island to Quebec:
- You will enter the Eastern Time zone which is -1.30 hour (behind)
- You will enter the Atlantic Time zone which is -0.30 hour (behind)
Newfoundland & Labrador Daylight Savings Time (DST)
It starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. In March the clock is moved forward from 02.00 am to 03.00 am (so you will lose an hour of sleep during the night). While in November it’s reversed as the clock is moved backward from 03.00 am to 02.00 am and you will gain an extra hour of sleep. One way of remembering the movement sequence is that clocks “spring forward and fall back”.
The total period of daylight savings lasts for 34 weeks which is about 65% of the year.
Other Canadian Provinces and Territories
You can check out information and maps of other Canadian Provinces and Territories by clicking on the below links.
|Pacific Time||Mountain Time||Central Time||Eastern Time||Atlantic Time||Newfoundland Time|
|British Columbia||Alberta||Manitoba||Nunavut||New Brunswick||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|British Columbia||Nunavut||Ontario||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Northwest Territories||Ontario||Quebec||Nova Scotia|
|Nunavut||Saskatchewan||Prince Edward Island|
|* No daylight savings|