What is the time zone of Chile?
The country is in the Chile Time zone. All places including the capital Santiago have the same time, there are no exceptions. Chile is observing daylight savings so there are two different clocks depending on the time of the year.
- Chile Standard Time (CLT):– 4:00 UTC/GMT (behind)
- Chile Summer Time (CLST):– 3:00 UTC/GMT (behind)
Time of neighboring islands and countries
You might change time zones when you travel outside Chile.
To Easter island:
There is a -2:00 hour time difference all year round
You will enter the Argentina Time zone
- September to April: There is no time difference
- April to September: The time difference will be +1 hour (ahead).
You will enter the Bolivia Time zone
- September to April: The time difference will be +1 hour (ahead).
- April to September: There is no time difference as both countries are on -3:00 UTC/GMT (behind)
You will enter the Peru Time zone
- September to April: The time difference will be -2 hour (behind).
- April to September: The time difference will be -1 hour (behind)
Chile Daylight Savings Time (DST)
It starts on the first Sunday in April and ends on the first Sunday in September. In April the clock is moved backward from 00.00 am to 23.00 am (so you will gain an hour of sleep during the night). While in September it’s reversed as the clock is moved forward from 23.00 am to 00.00 am and you will lose an extra hour of sleep.
Other countries in South America
You can check out information and maps of other South American countries by clicking below links.